跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2004-12-30 20:24:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/s ... 0519p-2838296c.html

Councillor's comments cause concern
Ward 39's Mike Del Grande worries about 'white people' leaving community

DAVID NICKLE More from this author
Dec. 29, 2004

Ward 39 Councillor Mike Del Grande (Scarborough-Agincourt) worries that "white people" are leaving his northwest Scarborough ward, and maintains a list of suspected rooming houses, grow houses and bylaw violations in the form of a ward-wide "census" of single family homes.
"What's happening here is a lot of the white people are moving out," said Del Grande, during a recent tour of his ward with a Mirror reporter. Del Grande agreed to the tour after raising concerns about the assessment he'd received in The Mirror's recent city council report card. He made the comment outside one suspected marijuana grow house after the reporter noted the large suburban home had a Neighbourhood Watch sign in its front window.

During the two-hour tour, the councillor, elected for the first time in 2003, visited sites where he'd had an impact in 2003, focusing on community benefits received from developers, work that he'd done to improve local parks, and work he'd done to root out marijuana grow operations in suburban houses.

Del Grande's ward includes a large Chinese-Canadian population (43.3 per cent of the ward is of Chinese origin, according to 2000 census data posted on the City of Toronto's website).

When asked a short time later to explain his apparent perception that there is a race relations problem in his ward, Del Grande said: "There's two types of Chinese in this neighbourhood. There's the Hong Kong Chinese and there's the mainland Chinese and the Hong Kong Chinese are having trouble with the mainland Chinese. So it's not even white and Chinese. It's Chinese and Chinese. So there's a tension and Hong Kong Chinese are moving out. That's the irony here."

And he concluded:

"But most people don't care what's next door, Jamaican, Filipino, as long as they maintain their property...and they don't cause a lot of problems and have respect for each other, that's the key point," he said.

Dr. Ming-Tat Cheung, chair of the Chinese Cultural Centre, said he was "very disappointed" with Del Grande's comments.

"I think he has to learn the multicultural makeup of this community. He has to try to understand as a leader of the community he should try to resolve the problem and not incite the problem - make more problems," said Cheung.

"But saying that people who are white are moving out and Chinese people are moving in - I wouldn't want to use the word racism, but it's shortsighted to think that only the white people are Canadians and everybody else is an outsider," he added. "That's something that's been happening in the past. It's not well received."

Cheung also disagreed with Del Grande's assertion that Chinese-Canadians from mainland China have problems with those from Hong Kong, or vice versa.

"I think there is some cultural background differences between people from Hong Kong and China, but I think their goals are the same - trying to have a good life in Canada - and I think there might be some disagreements but overall I think Hong Kong people and Chinese people are working well together," he said.

On issues of property standards, Del Grande revealed that he had over the summer paid three summer students to observe every single family house in the ward. He showed the reporter the resulting chart that he said he carries with him, showing addresses and a checklist of suspected problems: overgrown grass, trees that need trimming, illegally-widened driveways and homes that showed signs of being illegal rooming houses or grow houses.

When asked if his constituents might not be disturbed at having their homes observed so closely, Del Grande responded: "If somebody calls to complain about their neighbour, I say...by the way, you got a widened driveway which is illegal as well...so you're breaking the law as much as the other guy. You want to proceed? I'll proceed."

Del Grande is, however, proactive on many property standards issues. He said he travels around his ward with a pair of binoculars and a digital camera, monitoring suspected illegal grow houses and also keeping an eye on houses that he suspects are illegal rooming houses.

"What I do is I get a camera and a pair of binoculars...I just literally drive by continually," he said.

Del Grande has also begun a much-publicized process of putting a sign up on the lawns of grow houses once the police have busted them. He dismissed concerns that doing so affects property values of the surrounding homes.

"The issue is we don't put them up forever - just for two to five days, saying we got rid of this," he said.

Del Grande also raised concerns that too many of the homes in the ward are tenant-occupied rather than owner-occupied. He said that his goal for the community is to have more homeowners move in.

"What I want at the end of the day is I want people to move into the neighbourhood and not move out of the neighbourhood," he said. "I think that tells the story...There are a lot of vacant homes. This area seems to be predominantly lots of absentee landlords, lots of rentals."
沙发
发表于 2004-12-30 21:32:32 | 只看该作者

stand up and let our voices be heard

If Chinese-Canadian maintains over 43 percent of the population in Scarborough ward, why don't we stand together and let our councillor be elected? A narrow-mined, aggorant person like Mike Del Grande should be dismissed from the next campaign. The reason he made such an disgraceful, unacceptable speech is because he was simply scared!
板凳
发表于 2004-12-30 21:50:22 | 只看该作者
那些大叫融入主流社会的人应该读读这篇文章, 主流社会的人说你们是outsider
地板
发表于 2004-12-30 22:29:42 | 只看该作者
他讲的虽然有点偏颇,但不无道理。
5#
发表于 2004-12-30 23:23:52 | 只看该作者

Scarborough那地方正在变差,中国人也在往外搬。

Mike Del Grande就看出颜色来了,不知道是怎么混上Councillor的?是什么党?
6#
发表于 2004-12-30 23:40:51 | 只看该作者

有道是:物以类聚,人以群分

本来是很自然的事。不过,咱中国人,我想主要还是我们这些从大陆来的,法制观念可能不够,可能也是个问题。入境随俗,人家规矩大,大事小事都有法律,不学着点还真不好意思。应该和这个议员沟通一下,给新移民发点中文的法律小册子。不要动不动就种族问题,对解决问题没有帮助。
7#
发表于 2004-12-31 02:41:56 | 只看该作者
说实话,看了以后,感觉和在上海、北京一样,那里的本地人谈起进城市打工的农民也是这样的口气,只是肤色都一样,所以在那里不算种族歧视吧。
8#
发表于 2004-12-31 10:06:30 | 只看该作者

他怎么能做到议员?

既然在那个区有那么多中国人, 为什么要选一个白人做市议员? 为什么不选一个中国人? 可能是中国人中间移民比较多, 没有选举权, 所以说不了话. 不用着急, 几年以后, 中国人会让他当不了议员. 如果有中国人竞选议员, 不过他是什么党, 什么派, 我肯定投他的票.
9#
发表于 2004-12-31 13:17:25 | 只看该作者
对,坚持投华人候选人!
10#
发表于 2004-12-31 16:50:31 | 只看该作者

华人的参政意识不强,你也怪不了人家

虽然有些观点不对, 但也不是一点道理都没有的.

只有大家都行动起来, 用自己的选票来让自己的声音被听到.
11#
发表于 2004-12-31 19:07:44 | 只看该作者
He is the one who dared to speak out and tried to solved the problem. I support him.
12#
发表于 2004-12-31 21:17:30 | 只看该作者

回复:why are you white people here?

最初由[忆唐]发布
why are you white people here?

you'd better go back to your white's website.

Which website I visit is not your business.
13#
发表于 2005-1-1 01:55:16 | 只看该作者

回复:有道是:物以类聚,人以群分

最初由[林健]发布
有道是:物以类聚,人以群分

本来是很自然的事。不过,咱中国人,我想主要还是我们这些从大陆来的,法制观念可能不够,可能也是个问题。入境随俗,人家规矩大,大事小事都有法律,不学着点还真不好意思。应该和这个议员沟通一下,给新移民发点中文的法律小册子。不要动不动就种族问题,对解决问题没有帮助。

你有自虐倾向吗?你要想自己骂自己没人拦着你呀,千万别把中国人都捎上.
14#
发表于 2005-1-1 10:11:28 | 只看该作者

加拿大的政客就是让人骂的

下次他再来巡查,你组织几百人到他跟前骂他:你是臭狗屎,不要脸的政治家 %¥%¥◎……¥◎%……◎%#%◎#%%#!

保证他不敢回嘴,他要是回嘴,或者动手,你就发达在线了。
15#
发表于 2005-1-1 13:46:43 | 只看该作者

回复:楼上的,你不就是替种族歧视辩护吗?

最初由[忆唐]发布
楼上的,你不就是替种族歧视辩护吗?
国内的不同地区之间的分歧和种族歧视有本质的区别,当然沦子肯定另有所想了。

呵呵,看看近来你发的帖子,口口声声不离“沦子”;

至于种族歧视,的确存在,但这并不等于,凡是指责华人的言论都是种族言论;
究竟什么是种族歧视?
我遇到过对华人有偏见的、不了解华人的,这些态度不需要语言也能感觉到,但工作中我做得好的时候,他们仍然会肯定,并不因为我是华人而一味否定,所以即使他们有偏见,但我不认为他们是种族主义者;
我们移民,对于本地人来说的确是外来者,我们需要做的,是做好自己的事,合法抗争、保护自己的权益!

仅仅就楼主的帖子里,和北京、上海很多人认为进城的民工扰乱治安、没有文化非常类似;
大家不妨回想一下,在国内的时候,自己是怎么看待进城的民工的;
如果他还有其它言论,不妨再另外讨论;

至于你,从我来到这个论坛你已经在这里了,资格比我老得多,也曾拜读过你的帖子;
只是最近,不再看到你的帖子,而你的回复,除了给别人送帽子、扣分,看不到以理服人的东西,不知道为什么?

:)
这是我第一次得到扣分的评价,以此留念:
忆唐 [相关主题] - 说实话,看了以后,感觉和在上海、北京一样,那.. -1 12月31日 23:02
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表