温度感觉: -12°
  • 实时天气:蒙特利尔
    温度感觉: -0°
  • 实时天气:温尼伯 -5°
    温度感觉: -9°
查看: 5609|回复: 4

[分享]在加拿大找工作

发表于 2006-10-5 23:45:46 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Just like to share something with Chinese fellows. I have been here for over 10 years since I came over from China in 1994 as an international student. I have been working for several Fortun 500 companies for many years (all in financial sector).  What I have found is looking for a job you like is not so difficult at all.  

In terms of plan, I would say it all depends on how you position yourself and how much you know yourself – your strengths and weaknesses.  When doing it, it comes to 2 factors – your overall qualifications and strategy.  Of course, sometimes it is related to timing and luck as well.  

Also, there are couple things you need to be aware of:

•        Degree and certification. I got two degrees (an undergrate and a master) and one professsional title. I think that is enough for me to work for the industry I want to. I don’t need a Phd unless I really have the need to justify this.  Degree only gives you more opportunities to get the foot in the door.  I didn’t get my master degree until I found I need this to help me to climb up the corporate ladder.  
•        Master degree.  Get a master degree from a top rank school if you really want to get one.  For example, for MBA, I would go for Rotman (UT), Schulich (York), and Western.  Sorry, I am talking about Canada.

•         While Canadian degree is critical I believe experience is equally important.  When I got my first job, I didn’t have any Canadian work experience, but I have a undergraduate degree from a Canadian university. My employer considerred this and substituted this for so call “Canadian experience”. Think about this. If you are a boss, you would like to work with someone using the same terms when talking about the same thing.

•        Attitude.  A positive attitude is very important.  It is not something you can tell in one or two interviews.  The employer could FEEL this from the way you say and the way to response in the interview.

•        Communication skills.  This is the most important thing to get an offer and to do well in your job. Doesn’t matter if you like it or not – strong communication skills will give you a lots when you are good at this.  Please sharpen your spoken English.  Don’t be shy.  Don’t just sit there and say nothing.  Just join and make a conversation.  “Sorry” won’t help you much!

•        Time to go.  It is time to say good bye when you don’t see the opportunities you are looking for.  Any such moving should be done strategically.  Doing so,   bigger pay cheque + a brighter future.  There is no secured job any more (that is what I feel).  The most secured position is yourself.  Think about how to take advantage of your own value and niche  - you will then see a secured future.

Too much to tell …Time to go to bed… Good luck and hope this helps.
发表于 2006-10-6 01:13:35 | 显示全部楼层
thx for sharing !
发表于 2006-12-2 17:14:11 | 显示全部楼层
good.
发表于 2007-2-20 10:55:33 | 显示全部楼层
I agree you.
发表于 2007-6-12 21:02:31 | 显示全部楼层
thanks
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表